WUMAN is a contemporary African fashion-art brand founded in 2013 by Ekwerike Chukwuma. The womenswear/menswear brand draws inspiration from the female form which Chukwuma fell in love with during his early University days. The garments by WUMAN unify culture, heritage and African art with cross disciplinary affinities to anatomy, poetry, architecture etc.
At WUMAN, garments are seen as storytellers and are created within moments of grace unique to Chukwuma and the times. The garments are art made to speak to and engage its wearer and audience, as well as become a tool of change.
WUMAN was created to foster idealogical fashion that is deeply rooted in the continent of Africa with a view to carve its unique and authentic perspective across the global fashion industry.
EKWERIKE CHUKWUMA is a fashion artist based in Lagos, Nigeria. He aims to use African inspired fashion as a tool to inspire positive change and herald its art globally.
- Multi choice Nigeria Fashion Protégé Finalist 2013
- Young Designer of the year, Finalist, Native and Vogue Port Harcourt International Fashion week 2014
- Massivemac Fashion Event, Milan Italy(volunteer) 2014
- Africa Fashion and design week , Nigeria 2014 (showcase)
- Paisley Enugu Fashion week December 2014
- Lagos FASHION AND Design week, young Designer/Finalist 2015 (showcase)
- British Council fashion focus 2015 (Participant)
- Origin Africa/ Hub of Africa Fashion week Addis Ababa Ethiopia in collaboration with Ethiopia textile and Garment Manufacturers Association 2015 (Participant).
- Vogue ltalia / Hub of Africa FASHION WEEK Emerging Designer Finalist 2016 (Selection)
- World Bank/ Aso villa demo day top brands 2017(winner)
- Detachment show, Narwhal contemporary gallery, Toronto, Canada (exhibition/selection) March 2018
- Placenta exhibition (solo show highlighting the link between art and garments) Abeokuta, Nigeria April 2018
- TEDX UNIVERSITY OF PORTHARCOURT(speaker)-The abstract walls of fashion, art and design. 2018
- EMERGE ALARA emerging designer prize 2018(first runner up)
- Thought Pyramid Gallery FASHART exhibition, December 2018
- Arise Fashion week 2019 (Showcase)
- ELITE MODEL LOOK EAST/WEST AFRICA GRAND FINALE ( DESIGNER SHOWCASE), SEPTEMBER 2019
- STERLING BANK/AFRICA SOURCING & FASHION WEEK , OCTOBER 2019
- LAGOS FASHION WEEK, OCTOBER 2019
- LAGO54/GIZ PARIS SHOWROOM (DESIGNER SELECTION), OCTOBER 2019
- PRIVATE PRESENTATION OF COMPOSITION 19/20 AT THE FRENCH WEEK GALA DINNER IN LAGOS, NOVEMBER 2019
- LIVE IN LAGOS/WEAR NIGERIAN FASHION SHOW WITH MARIA GRAZIA CHIURI/CHIMAMANDA NGOZI ADICHIE (DESIGNER SHOWCASE), DECEMBER 2019
- POP-UP EXHIBITION/SHOP OF COMPOSITION 19/20(THEORI), DECEMBER 2019
- BOOK (AH! FREAK HER) LAUNCH/SIGNING BY CHUKWUMA EKWERIKE AT DITTO AFRICA, LAGOS. DECEMBER 2019
- AH! FREAK HER (IN CONVERSATION WITH AYAAN MOHALLIM) AT DITTO AFRICA, DECEMBER 2019
- PRIVATE MEETING WITH THE FRENCH MINISTER OF STATE (NATIONAL EDUCATION & YOUTH), THE CONSULAR GENERAL OF THE FRENCH EMBASSY, NIGERIA, & THE FRENCH AMBASSADOR TO NIGERIA. DECEMBER 2019
- ETHICAL FASHION INITIATIVE IN PARTNERSHIP WITH EUROPE AID ACCELERATOR PROGRAMME ( DESIGNER FINALIST SELECTION) JANUARY 2020.